AUTISM:SYMPTOMS, CAUSES, AND TREATMENT
As per the Center for Disease Control, the health condition affects around one in 54 children in the US.
It is basically related to the brain growth that impacts how a person socializes and perceives others. It causes issues in social interaction.
Autism begins in early childhood while causing issues functioning in society. While there is no cure for the health condition, early diagnosis and treatment can make a huge difference in several children’s lives.
Symptoms of Autism
Types of Autism Disorders
Though these types were once thought to be separate health conditions, they now fall under the autism disorder. This includes:
Children with Asperger’s Syndrome do not have any issue with language. In fact, such children tend to score above average or average on intelligence tests. But even with such an advantage, they have some social issues and narrow interest scopes.
Children with disintegrative disorder have a typical development for at least two years. And later, they lose most of their social and communication skills.
This is the most common form that people think of whenever they hear about the autism health condition. This one generally refers to the issues with communication, social interactions, and play in children who are younger than three years.
If the child adheres to some autistic behaviour, then the doctor might often use this term. This includes delays in communication and social skills.
Causes of Autism
The health condition is four times more common in boys as compared to girls. It can occur in people of any ethnicity, social background, or race. However, the lifestyle, educational level, or family income doesn’t affect the risk of autism.
Still, there are several risk factors. This includes:
Looking to Apply for an Medical Marijuana Card
Get Started by following these Steps:
1. Start FIlling up the 420 Evaluations form with your details.
2. Get Evaluated by a Local MMJ doctor once the submission is complete.
3. Get Approved and Receive your Letter In Your Email.
Essential to note!
Diagnosis of Autism
However, in the case of children, the accurate diagnosis takes two steps.
Even though there is no cure for the health condition, early diagnosis can make a huge difference.
The two main treatment types include:
- Behavioural and communication therapy can help with the organization and structure.
- Applied Behaviour Analysis is one effective treatment that promotes positive behaviour.
- Occupational therapy that helps with life skills including eating, dressing, etc.
- Speech therapy to improve communication skills
- Sensory integration therapy to help with the issues with sights, sounds, and being touched.
- Medications to help with the Autism disorder include hyperactivity, anxiety, and attention issues.