Cannabis Legalization: Know if Cannabis is Legal in Your State.
Publish Date: October 6th, 2020; Author: Darren M. Jorgenson.
Although Marijuana still holds a stigma in several parts of the world, several areas are reassessing its illegitimate status. After researching Marijuana, the increase in the benefits offered by the Cannabis has become the focus of attraction. With the rise in services, the states legalizing the use of Marijuana are also increasing. As of now, Cannabis is officially authorized by 11 states and Washington DC for adult use. Marijuana is beneficial in treating several health conditions. It generally refers to an unprocessed plant that helps treat the symptoms of illness and other medical conditions. Cannabis is permissible in several forms in different locations based on the governing laws that permit the particular form.
Also Read: Get Your Medical Marijuana Card Online Today
Methods of Medical Marijuana Intake
- Inhalation: Vapor and Smoke
- Oral Ingestion: oils, tinctures, capsules, and edibles
- Topical: salves, balms, and patches
- Suppositories: rectal or vaginal suppositories
The states are legalizing the use of Marijuana are started with some restrictions and laws governing the use of Marijuana in a particular state. Acquiring an Medical Marijuana Card permits the individual for the possession and consumption of Marijuana. Several medical conditions are set as the qualifying criteria for receiving an MMID card. With a valid MMID card and an official recommendation by an authorized Medical Health Professional, an individual is permitted to acquire, consume, and cultivate Marijuana.
Ailments that qualify for acquiring the MMID card
- Loss of appetite
- Wasting Syndrome
- Severe or Chronic Pain
- Severe Nausea
- Persistent Muscle Spasms
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Patients with chronic or debilitating diseases
- Any other chronic medical condition that is severe and for which other treatments have been ineffective.
States where adult-use Cannabis is legal
There are 11 states and Washington DC that have legalized the use and cultivation of Marijuana. It is always good to explore all the state laws before acquiring Marijuana in a particular state.
Alaska legalizes the use of Marijuana in 1988. Alaska is among the initial states to permit the use of Marijuana. It is available in diverse forms of leaves, flowers, stems, or marijuana concentrates like wax, oils. The consumption of Marijuana in Alaska is constrained by several laws that drive the approval of the use of Marijuana.
Alaska State Laws:
- Consumption of Marijuana is prohibited in public places.
- An individual must be 21 years or more to acquire Marijuana
- Acquiring Marijuana on federal land is prohibited
- Driving after the consumption of Marijuana is not permitted
- Individuals aged 21 or more are allowed to develop, cultivate or give away six plants, out of which only three must be maturing and flowering at a time
- Transportation of Marijuana is prohibited as per the federal law.
- Consumption of Marijuana at the workplace may subject to the employer’s policy against use.
California had legalized the use of Marijuana since 1996 when the majority of votes were in favor of legalizing the use of Marijuana to treat several medical conditions. The State’s marijuana laws were significantly unperturbed once again in 2016 after voters accepted Proposition 64. The Adult-use Marijuana Act states that adults are permitted to acquire and use Marijuana for treating several health conditions. This act has restricted the use of Marijuana with few laws that drives the governing use of Marijuana. Here are several rules that permit the use of Marijuana.
California State Laws:
- An individual must be 21 years or older to have access to Marijuana
- An individual may possess 8 grams of concentrated Cannabis and 28.5 grams of Marijuana plant material equivalent to an ounce.
- Cannabis is permitted to minors that are less than 21 years but only with their parents’ consent.
- A minor is allowed to have a caregiver who is acquiring Medical Marijuana.
- The doctor gives amended to use Marijuana as much as required for reliving the symptoms.
- Driving under the influence of Cannabis is restricted.
- Consumption of Cannabis in communal is prohibited.
- Consumption of Cannabis is permissible in the private property only if the property owners haven’t banned the consumption.
- Only state-licensed infirmaries are permitted to sell cannabis products.
- Any commercial activities devoid of a license are subject to the civil penalties of up to three times.
- Medical Marijuana card holders are permitted to grow up to 99 plants.
- You are permissible for owning 1 ounce of weed.
- An individual can also grow Cannabis as per the personal requirement.
- It provides you the legal rights to grow Cannabis at your space.
Colorado has legalized the use of Marijuana after the voters passed a Colorado Amendment 64 Act in 2012 that came into influence in 2014. It is mandatory to acquire Marijuana after the recommendation and a valid Medical cannabis card only. Colorado has passed two sets of policies concerning Cannabis use based on the form of Marijuana opted. Medical Cannabis and Recreation drug use got different groups of systems.
Medical Cannabis Laws:
- With the state-licensed doctor’s recommendation, a patient is allowed to acquire Medical Marijuana
- Patients may receive up to 2 ounces of medical Marijuana
- Individual aged 21 or more is permitted to cultivate 6 Marijuana plants out of which three must be matured
- Under-aged patients are allowed to acquire Medical Marijuana only with the consent of parents or guardians.
- Individuals caught with more than this argue under the affirmative defense of medical necessity.
- Only state-licensed medical stores are permitted to sell Medical Marijuana.
Recreational Cannabis Laws:
- Individuals aged 21 or more are permitted up to 6 marijuana plants
- They are allowed to cultivate Marijuana plants in private space
- They are permitted to acquire all the Marijuana from the plants they cultivate
- An individual can possess up to one ounce of Marijuana while traveling
- An individual is allowed to give away up to one ounce.
In 2013, Illinois has legalized the consumption, cultivation, and dispensing of Cannabis. As per the Medical Cannabis Registry Program, an individual is allowed to acquire Marijuana after qualifying the ailments necessary for Medical Marijuana consumption. The Illinois Department of Public Health well manages the Registry process by reviewing and processing the applications and maintaining confidentiality.
Illinois State Laws:
- State laws allow the individuals under age are permitted to apply for the cannabis registration card
- Allows the caregivers of minors to acquire Cannabis
- Allows up to three caregivers for minor and adult patients
- Allows the registered patients to cultivate Cannabis at personal space
- Patients are allowed to grow up to 5 cannabis plants.
In November 2016, Maine has legalized the use of Marijuana and joined the other eight states that already have legalized the consumption and retail of Marijuana. In 1976, the possession of small amounts of Marijuana Drug was decriminalized. The legislature in January 2017 approved a moratorium for the implementation of parts of law concerning Marijuana use and retailed.
Maine State Laws:
- An individual must be 21 years or more to acquire the Marijuana
- An individual aged 21 or more is permitted to grow six mature plants
- An individual is allowed to possess 2.5 ounces
- Law imposes a 10 percent tax on commercial marijuana sales
- As per the law, localities have the power to restrict, regulate or prohibit the operation and consumption of Marijuana.
Massachusetts has legalized the use and cultivation of Cannabis in 2016. Massachusetts voters decriminalized the use and possession of Cannabis I 2008. It has become the eighteenth State to pass the use of Marijuana and the first State to restrict the use of Cannabis in 1911, devoid of any valid prescription. In Nov 2018, the state government had legalized the use of Cannabis and banned the use and cultivation of some state laws.
Massachusetts State Laws:
- An individual must be 21 or more to acquire the Cannabis
- An individual is not allowed to use Marijuana in public places or some federal land
- An individual is permitted to cultivate Marijuana at home for personal use
- Cultivation of 1 ounce or up to 10 ounces is allowed at home
- You are allowed to grow up to 6 plants at home with up to 12 plants for two or more adults
- You are not allowed to drive under the influence of Marijuana
Nevada has legalized the recreational use of Cannabis in 2017. It was legalized by the ballot initiative in 2016 and is allowed to acquire by the licensed individuals only. It came into effect in 2017 with some laws required to be followed for the consumption and cultivation of Cannabis.
Nevada State Laws:
- Possession of Cannabis is allowed to people aged 21 years or more.
- For the consumption of Medical or recreational Marijuana, the minimum age is 21, whereas, for the consumption of Medical Marijuana only, it is 18 years with the consent of parents or guardians.
- An individual may possess 1 ounce for recreation and 2.5 ounces per 14 day period for Medical Marijuana in Flower form.
- An individual may possess 0.125 ounces for recreational and 2.5 ounces per 14 day period for medical Marijuana in concentrated form.
- Adults are permitted to cultivate up to 6 plants per person.
- Cultivation of up to 12 plants per household is permitted for personal use.
- Patients or Caregivers are permitted to cultivate up to 12 plants only if they live 25 miles away from state dispensaries.
Oregon has legalized the use of recreational and medical Cannabis in 2017 with a valid prescription from a state-licensed Medical Health Professional. Oregon has become the first state to decriminalize Cannabis in 1973. The State permitted the use and cultivation of Cannabis with some state laws on the consumption and cultivation of Cannabis.
Oregon State Laws for Consumption and Cultivation of Cannabis:
- An individual must be 21 years or more for the consumption of Cannabis.
- An individual can possess up to 1 ounce of usable Cannabis in dried flower form, 1 ounce in the form of Cannabis concentrates, 16 ounces of cannabis edibles in solid form, and 72 ounces of Cannabis in liquid form.
- With a valid ID card, an individual is permitted to purchase up to 1 ounce of usable Cannabis in dried flower form, 5 grams of Cannabis in concentrated form, 16 ounces of Cannabis in solid form, 72 ounces of Cannabis in liquid form.
- Driving under the influence of Cannabis is prohibited,
- Consumption of Cannabis in the public area is not permitted.
- Cultivation of Cannabis is allowed for individuals aged 21 years or more.
Vermont has permitted the use of Cannabis in 2018. In 1915, Vermont banned the use of Cannabis. The State has decriminalized the possession of 1 ounce in 2013, and in 2014 the State started considering the legalization of Cannabis that came into effect later.
Vermont State Laws:
- An individual must qualify the minimum age for acquiring Cannabis.
- A patient or a caregiver can purchase the Cannabis from one of the five dispensaries sanctioned by VMR with a valid ID only.
- Consumption of Cannabis must be done in the private place only.
- Consumption of Cannabis is not permitted in public areas.
- An adult can acquire up to 1 ounce of Cannabis.
- An adult is allowed to cultivate a maximum of two mature plants or four immature plants only.
With legalizing the use of Cannabis in Washington in 2012, the State has permitted the retail, use, and cultivation of Cannabis. The State had beforehand legalized the use of Medical Marijuana back in 1998. With some state laws and restrictions, the State has now permitted the use and cultivation of Cannabis.
Washington State Laws:
- A valid MMID card for the purchase and consumption of Cannabis
- Consumption of Cannabis in public areas in any form is strictly prohibited
- An individual with qualifying the eligibility age can possess One Ounce of usable Cannabis, 16 ounces of Cannabis in sold form, 72 ounces of Cannabis in liquid form, and 7 grams of Cannabis in concentrated form.
- Driving after the consumption of Cannabis is illegal
- Production or sale of Cannabis devoid of any state license is illegal.
- Transportation of Cannabis to another state is not permitted.
According to the 2014 Ballot Referendum, the use of Cannabis got legalized in Washington DC for the medical and recreational uses, but it is completely barred from the commercial sale. The use of Marijuana in Washington DC is still illegal under federal law and only legal under the district law. Under the legalization measure, the use of medical Marijuana and recreational Marijuana came into effect in 2015 with some state laws required to be followed.
Washington DC Laws for the use of Medical Marijuana:
- An individual must be 21 years or older for acquiring Medical Marijuana
- A purchase of up to one ounce of usable Marijuana is allowed for the cardholders.
- The type of usable Marijuana allowed in Washington DC are Solid, Liquid, Cannabis concentrates.
- Medical patients may acquire upto 3 ounces of usable Marijuana, 48 ounces of marijuana-infused product in solid form, 216 ounces of marijuana-infused product in liquid form, 21 grams of marijuana concentrate.
- Consumption of Cannabis is not prohibited in public areas.
- Driving after the consumption of Cannabis is prohibited.
- It is permissible for an individual who is at least 21 years old to grow within their abode up to six marijuana plants, no more than three of which are mature.