What is Dystonia? Its Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
December 3, 2021
Dystonia health condition refers to a movement disorder in which a person’s muscles contract involuntarily while causing twisting or repetitive movements. This health condition affects one part of the body called focal Dystonia and two or more adjacent parts referred to as segmental Dystonia. And even all the body parts are referred to as general Dystonia since the muscle spasms can range from mild to severe and can be painful that they can interfere with the day-to-day performance and tasks.Though there is no cure to the health condition but the medication can improve the symptoms. Let us get acquainted with all the essential information concerning the health condition.
Symptoms of DystoniaDystonia affects different people in diverse ways. The muscle contractions might
- Start in a single area like your arm, neck, or leg. It is a focal dystonia that starts after the age of 21
- It takes place during a particular action like handwriting
- Become noticeable over time
- Gets worse with fatigue, anxiety, or stress.
- Neck The contraction causes the head to twist and turn to one side only while sometimes causing pain.
- Eyelids Involuntary spasms or rapid blinking can cause the eyes to close and make it complicated for you to see. However, the spasms are not painful but might increase when exposed to a brighter light or under stress.
- Vocal cords and voice box You might experience a whispering or tight voice.
- Tongue or Jaw With this area affected, one might experience slurred speech, difficulty chewing, swallowing, and drooling.
- Forearm and hand Several types of dystonic occur when one performs a repetitive activity like writing or playing a specific musical instrument.
When do you gotta see a doctor?
The early signs of the health condition are occasional, mild, and associated with a specific activity only. Still, you gotta see a doctor if you are experiencing repeated and involuntary muscle contractions.
Causes of Dystonia
The health condition’s exact cause is unknown but might include the modified nerve cell communication in the brain’s several regions. The health condition can be a symptom of some other health condition, including
- Huntington’s Disease
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Birth Injury
- Wilson’s Disease
- Brain Tumour
- Infections like TB
- Reactions to specific medications
- Oxygen deprivation or carbon monoxide poisoning
Complications involved in Dystonia
Depending upon the type, the complications involved with the health condition include
- Difficulty with vision that affects the eyelids
- Physical disabilities that affect the performance of performing specific tasks or daily activities
- Fatigue or pain due to muscle contractions
- Anxiety, social withdrawal, and depression
- Difficulty with speech, swallowing, and jaw movement
Diagnosis of Dystonia
The medical doctor starts with the patient’s medical history and physical examination to diagnose the health condition. However, to determine if the health conditions causing the symptoms, the medical doctor might recommend
- Urine or blood test
Blood or urine tests help reveal the toxins signs or of other health conditions.
Electromyography measures the electrical activity within the muscles.
- CT scan or MRI
CT scan or MRI are the imaging tests that can spot abnormalities in the brain like lesions, stroke evidence, or tumours.
- Genetic Testing
Some dystonia forms are associated with specific genes. Knowing whether such genes are present in the body can help guide the treatment.
Treatment of Dystonia
To manage the muscle contractions, the medical doctor might recommend a combination of medicines, therapy, or surgery.
Home remedies and Lifestyle
Though the disease has no cure, you can adopt several good routines to minimize the effects:
- Stress management
You gotta learn some practical coping skills to manage stress like deep breathing, positive self-talk, and social support.
- Sensory tricks to diminish spasms
Touching specific parts of the body may cause the spasms to stop temporarily.
- Cold or heat
Applying cold or heat can help lessen muscle pain.
Living with Dystonia can be frustrating and challenging, but you need to see a doctor to lessen the symptom’s effects. If you are not much of a medicine taker, you must talk to your doctor to access some natural remedies to deal with the health condition.
Our Simple 3 Step Process For Medical Marijuana Card
1. Fill up your details in an easy 420 Evaluations form.
2. Get Evaluated by a Local MMJ doctor After Online Submission.
3. Get Approved and Receive your Recommendation In Your Email.
Looking To Apply For A Medical Marijuana Card?
New York Medical Marijuana Qualifying Conditions
Qualifying Conditions List for New York Medical Marijuana Card in 2023.Table of Content Introduction Qualifying Medical Conditions List Some Other Requirements Of The New York Medical Marijuana Card Can A Minor Qualify For A New York Medical...
Arkansas Medical Marijuana Qualifying Conditions
Qualifying Conditions List for Arkansas Medical Marijuana Card in 2023.Table of Content Introduction Qualifying Medical Conditions List Can Other Medical Conditions Be Added To The Qualifying Medical List? Am I Eligible For A Medical Marijuana Card...
How to Find Medical Marijuana Doctors Near Me
How to Find Medical Marijuana Doctors Near Me- MY MMJ DoctorTable of Content Introduction Ways To Find Medical Marijuana Doctors Near You Narrow Down Your Choices and Make Final Evaluations A Reliable, Quicker, And Easier Way to Find a Weed Doctor...